Here is a tasty recipe we love. A bit time consuming, but warms the body–and soul–during Lent!
I love to cook and enjoy trying new recipes. And since we only have one meat a day during Lent (and none on Friday!) I’m always looking for new ideas to spring on my family so please share any you have!
Roasted Tomato and Black Bean Soup
1 pound plum tomatoes or Roma, halved
1 large onion, halved lengthwise, cut into thin wedges
1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups (or more) vegetable broth
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
4 cups cooked black beans
(or two 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed, drained)
· Preheat oven to 350°F.
· Combine tomatoes, onion and carrot in large roasting pan.
· Add garlic, oil, salt and oregano and toss to coat.
· Roast until vegetables are brown and tender, stirring occasionally, about 50-60 minutes.
· Transfer vegetables to blender.
· Add 1 cup broth to roasting pan and scrape up browned bits.
· Add broth and 1 ½ cups beans to processor.
· Puree vegetable mixture until smooth.
· Transfer soup to heavy large saucepan. Add remaining beans.
· Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until flavors blend, adding more broth if soup is too thick, about 10 minutes.
· Season with salt, pepper and chopped cilantro.
· Serve hot.